There was a long long time ago … (more or less two years ago) an happy DBA.
This DBA was used to keep monitored a lot of parameter of his database with an old monitoring software (hobbit), and an HUGE and absolutely unmanageable PERL PLUG-IN.
This old perl plug-in was born many years ago, and in the beginning was smart, easy to manage and extremely light but things change…
One day a consultant is come where i work to install the new fabolous monitoring system: zabbix!
And so… the consultant has told, you can easly modify your script to send information to zabbix instead hobbit is really easy!!!
I didn’t trust so much this consultant and i’m gone to see what was really my old perl scrip, and the resume was something like 3500 lines of perl code.
The funny thing is that this code (wrote from me) is grown while i was working as DBA without say anything to anyone.
The result was a lot of useless code, and more or less an hell to undestand, write to be unreadable … al least from me ! 🙂
I’ve used with happy this plugin for zabbix until a nice day. In this particular day all mine “C” disk has going to finish free space.
I was surprised about, really surprised! and when finally i’ve undestood what hell was happen… i didn’t trust to my eyes =)
Every listener was grown, ust a few, something like 5 GB 🙂
I’m wonder to know what there inside… probably a copy of “The Divine Comedy” , anyway inside there was only a looooot of login-logout and nothing to read…
In the beginning this plugin was born just to monitor Oracle whout fill my listener logs of connections 🙂
Now is becom the easy way to keep monitored Oracle inside Zabbix.
And the rest is only this: